The Power of Prayer: Natasha Lyonne

I'm still doing a lot of searching when it comes to my own spiritual beliefs. I know I believe in the power of prayer, but I'm not exactly sure why. It's not that I think God keeps count of how many people are praying for someone, and when it hits the magic number, he decides to grant the prayer-- like a genie-- but I think it's that I believe there's a spot in each of our subconscious minds that can take in those prayers and know that people are pulling for us.

Anyway. Today I'm sending prayers to Natasha Lyonne. You probably know her from her roles in American Pie and The Slums of Beverly Hills. According to the NY Post, she's in the intensive care unit of Beth Israel Hospital with track marks all over her arms, receiving treatment for hepatitis C, a collapsed lung, and a heart infection. I don't follow celebrity news much, so I somehow missed her apparent downfall this year. I have no idea which rumors are just rumors and which ones are true, but it's said that she was living on the streets, addicted to heroin, dropped by her agent and publicist, and-- this part is true-- had a warrant out for her arrest since she left court early when she was to answer to charges of harassing her old neighbor and doing some pretty twisted stuff.

I hate the way this is presented in the news as just another piece of celebrity gossip. There it is, "Natasha Lyonne fighting for her life!" as a couple of paragraphs just above or below "Jen and Brad have split for good!" and "Is Courtney Love pregnant?" This isn't gossip. It's not "oh, just another celebrity-and-drugs" story. It's a little girl lost. It's a 26-year-old who might die, and the papers are talking about lawsuits and leaks rather than compassion. So I'm giving all my prayers to her today. I hope you might do the same.

Popular posts from this blog

Excuse my bumbling background erasing skills

Dear New Writer (Who Probably Googled 'Book Publishers for New Authors' to Get Here)

Dear Rene Angelil